Barents Summer School is a doctoral course arranged in collaboration between the universities of Umeå, Oulu, Tromsø and Arkhangelsk. The hosting university of 2016 is the University of Oulu, Finland.
The course will consist of preassignments, own study, intensive perod and final assignment (learning diary or an essay). The intensive period will introduce the concept of sustainability and extend the procedure into the characteristic to the Barents Region. These issues include among others tourism, nature parks, mining, environmental impacts, human health and wellbeing. The desciption of the course with program outline and timetable for the intensive period is here.
All the students are expected to prepare in advance a short article and an oral presentation of their work, which will be presented during the summer school. The students have the responsibility to read and comment at least one article from a fellow student. In addition there will be a final examination in a form of a learning diary. The total workload of the course totals up to 3 ECTS.
How to apply
The number of students from each participating country is limited. Applications from each country should be sent to local coordinators, who will arrange the selection process together with their universities.
- A short CV with your contact information, university etc. (max one page)
- A motivation letter including a description of your research (max one page)
The applications should be sent to the local coordinators. Deadlines may vary by university. Please contact your local coordinator for more information.
- UiT The Arctic University of Norway: Torkjel M Sandanger
- University of Oulu: Arja Rautio, Riitta Kamula
- Umeå University: Lena Maria Nilsson
- Northern (Arctic) Federal University: Marina Kalinina
- Northern State Medical University: Yury Sumarokov